I've always been a little confused at the distinction between a mindmap and a concept map. Here is how I see the differences:
- have separate arc and nodes, these can be named and annotated.
- allow non-hierarchical relationships, even recursion, (do not force tree structures).
- permit spatial placing / arrangement of nodes and arcs
- use labeled arcs only
- are predominantly bifurcating (tree like structures)
- clustering is mostly via color or line thichness rather than spatial
In my view, mindmaps are less rich than concept maps